Dear SWM Friends,
COVID-19 • Shelter in Place • Daily News Briefings • Face Masks • Safety • Opening • Truth
Have you become tired of these words? Early in the pandemic we all huddled around our TVs, smartphones, and computer screens for daily updates. Even our small town of Trenton has a daily report at 3PM by the County Commissioner. Facebook has become a news channel for many reports. But over the last few weeks, people have become more accepting of the situation and less interested in the daily news. It is common to hear people say they do not know what to believe.
During this uncertain time, many good churches have begun new online ministries. Many pastors are now preaching to a camera instead of a congregation. Even small churches in remote areas have been surprised that people view and participate in their services from other states! But at this time, churches and ministries also wonder what church will be like after the pandemic. Will people return to church? Will they become lazy and only watch “church” online? How will churches survive financially? How will the pandemic affect missions and missionaries? The questions are many, but we all must adapt to meet changing needs. Now is not the time to back away, let down, take it easy, or stop. The spiritual needs of people have not changed (but have increased). The Bible still has the answer. The Gospel is still the priority. “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed“ (Romans 13:11).
SWM Online Ministry – As a result of SWM’s online teaching, preaching, and interpreting (for hearing church services), several people have contacted our office for spiritual help. One man wrote in the video comments, “I am not saved.” We asked if he wanted more information about salvation and he said, “No.” But we still see his name appear as he views our live teaching. Please pray for Dale and others who post angry faces but return to view the lessons. God’s Word is powerful and can break hard hearts, as It has so many times before. View “Live” teaching at: Facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries – See back page for SWM Mission Team’s online ministries.
Literature & Videos – One of the advantages of SWM’s literature ministry is the lasting effect of the printed word. Emails get deleted and conversations are forgotten, but books can be read, re-read, and given to another person. SWM is blessed to have produced over 350 different tracts, books, booklets, manuals, and more. View them at: SilentWord.org/store – Many are now available as downloads. “But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you” (1 Peter 1:25). Pastors (and others), consider using free SWM pamphlets in your ministry. Download and email to others: SilentWord.org/pamphlets
The FIRST: 20-minute Gospel Animation Project – Have you ever seen a Gospel Cartoon for the Deaf? Neither have we. Deaf people listen with their eyes. Video is a powerful outreach into their “world.” Ursala Rasmussen (SWM) said, “SWM needs a Gospel cartoon,” and a new outreach began. Funding was provided, David Bennett (SWMI) wrote the script, Jon Barr added the sign language, and Jonathan Taylor and Niall Lynch (professionals) are adding animation. Each step requires exact examination and careful revision. Please pray for us as we develop this special Gospel animation. The goal is to take the Gospel to Deaf people and their families worldwide – to people who need to “hear.”
As of April we have had 63 reported salvation decisions. Our desire is to share the Gospel again face to face and in meetings as our country “opens.” Please pray for us as we reach out on your behalf to the “world” of the Deaf. “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not” (Galatians 6:9).
Please view HIGHLIGHTS OF SWM the MISSION TEAM on the back of this letter. We hope the enclosed flier is a blessing to you. Pass it along to others! We are here to serve,
President, Director of Operations
While we cannot meet with people in person, we are conducting online, virtual, and personal on-screen meetings. We are not idle, but we are working for the Lord as He provides the way. “While We Wait, HE Works!”
Please View and Pray for These Online and In-person Mission Ministries:
- Barr, Jon & Diane • JDBarr.com • facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries • Local ministry • Silent Word Mission Board • SWM Operations, Websites, Newspaper, etc. • Bookkeeping (Diane)
- Beam, Tabitha – TabithaBeam.com • SWM Office Missionary • SWM Orders, Inquiries, Proofreading, Websites, Online Ministries & Social Media, Coordinate and send Silent Word Newspaper and missionary prayer letters • Tutoring a young lady in sign language through Skype. • Prayer request: My dad recently had a quadruple bypass surgery. He is doing well. Please pray for his recovery and wisdom for decisions.
- Bennett, David & Vicki – Continuing ministry with smaller groups and individuals as normal. Search Facebook: David Bennett
- Bracelin, Jim & Terry – JimBracelin.com • facebook.com/SilentwordNE • Twitter.com/SilentWord_NE Instagram.com/SilentWord_Northeast • Jim: preaching/teaching online. Terry: Deaf Ladies Bible study
- Camp, Ted & Carlene – facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries • TC Weekly Articles: SilentWord.org/lists
- Condra, Nicole – NicoleCondra.com • Full-time language and culture studies IN Romania
- Condra, Reed & Donna – 1622 enrolled in Deaf Bible Institute • 17 new enrollments this month • 2 DBI salvation decisions recently • promoting DBI
- Galyen, Larry & Diana – Posting of SWM prayer letters, weekly articles, newspaper articles at SilentWord.org • facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries • SilentWord.org/newspaper (and more)
- Ring, Bud & Jenna – Ministering to local Deaf and beyond at bit.ly/BHBC-YouTube (Or search YouTube for Blessed Hope Baptist Church, Bridgewater, NS, Canada)
- Snare, Allen – facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries • facebook.com/Allen.Snare.10 • SWM printing
- Strosnider, Paul & Rachel – Church Services: facebook.com/EphraimBaptistDeafChurch • Resumed limited in person services at church. Live stream for the 2/3 of their congregation who are high risk. Who is viewing? Current church members/visitors • Deaf people who refuse to come to church • People with health/distance issues • Former deaf exchange students from Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala
- Stuart, Bruce & Amanda – Preparing and gathering resources for our future ministry in Gabon. Recording missions history, Gabonese history and facts, and Bible lessons. These will be uploaded to Facebook Youtube: facebook.com/stuarts2gabon • Youtube Search: Stuarts2Gabon
- VanDonkelaar, Rusty & Cassandra – Weekly preaching • Plans to resume church services in their building soon • facebook.com/SilentWordMinistries • Also view facebook.com/PalmettoBaptistDeafChurch
Final Thoughts: During this time our on-line ministries are very active. WOW! We now have 1,622 students enrolled in DBI. We have updated all 20 lessons and the program is available by mail or online. It has greatly increased. We also recently added several new advanced lessons. We are adding more SWM materials and special graphics online. This change will make much more of our SWM materials (.pdf) and graphics (.jpg) available for download and also will bring a great increase to the ministry. FYI: The ministry goes when we cannot. We have had 63 professions of faith. This is an exciting and amazing ministry. While we wait – He works! – Also remember what mama always said, “Don’t forget to wash your hands.” – Dat’s All – Y’all – Ted Camp
Please take a minute to send your missionaries an encouraging email: SilentWord.org/team
They will appreciate hearing from you. – Jon Barr