(Brief Review) Special Needs Deaf (SND) are deaf people who, for one reason or another, need special methods to teach them. There could be many different reasons. For example: No exposure to Sign Language, little or no education, eyesight problems, behavioral problems, slow learners. The first method to help SND people understand the Word of God was to think in pictures.
Here are additional exercises to help you think in pictures. Read the sentences and then try to see the action with no words and few signs. You may use the signs for the underlined words only.
1. The short boy fell and hit his face on the ground.
2. The doctor gave the sick boy a shot.
3. Come to church I will teach you.
4. The dog bit me and I ran away.
5. God formed man from the dust of the ground.
6. God breathed into man’s nostrils and man became a living soul.
7. Is Hell good or bad?
8. Receive Jesus and go to Heaven.
9. Throw the ball far.
10. Where girl go?
Method 2 – Use Pictures, Pictures, and More Pictures
SND people are visual. Almost everything they understand in the world largely comes through their sight. Therefore, we need pictures. I honestly do not understand how someone can teach the deaf without pictures. I use them all the time. In fact, I have my picture bag with me almost all the time. If I need to teach someone, I have all the pictures that I need. I always carry in my picture bag:
- Salvation pictures for the SND deaf
- Salvation with scriptures
- Bible Pictures of Heaven, Hell, Adam & Eve, and Life of Christ
- Pictures of Rich man and Lazarus story
Editor note: Visual communication is valuable for all signers, especially teachers, to learn. Just because you signed something does not mean it was clear. Think about it. Try these methods. Clear communication is an art and skill! – JBarr